Sunday, June 7, 2015

Week 1... in St. Croix!


It has almost been a week and I am finally somewhat settled in St. Croix. I found all the stores and have gone to all of them multiple times.  I am slowly figuring out how to get around and trying to remember to wear sunscreen every day. Today was the first time I went to the beach since I arrived and I did burn so I need to do a better job with the sunscreen but hopefully the burn will turn into a tan.

On a good note, I did buy locally farmed produce at one of the Saturday morning farmer markets and I did find a car so I have fulfilled most of my week one goals here. The view from my window is amazing and any time something doesn't go as planned, the view makes up for it.

People here in St. Croix are very nice and personable. They will look you in the eye and they will have full conversations with you on the street. It is very much a small town feeling but at the same time there is a lot of area here to wonder and discover. Everything is a little slower here and things do take longer to do because you have to go to many different locations to get everything you need at a given time, but for now it's a good trade off to some of the nuisances of a big city such as a traffic and congestion.  A traffic jam here is when there are 20 cars waiting at one of the four traffic lights on the island.

So far this is exactly as I imagined it and I am meeting some really great people on this little island that many people don't even know exists.

1 comment:

  1. Love your blog. You're a great storyteller. Keep it up, you may encourage that one person who is on the fence about moving to an island or not -

    ReplyDelete