Sunday, July 5, 2015

The Fourth of July and Sahara Dust

It's been a month now since I arrived on St. Croix and I think I've been really lucky thus far. I have met some really nice people who have been extremely friendly and welcoming. I did end up getting an office job that I think may turn out to be a good place for me. I am still waiting to hear back from the non-profit organization and I think I can do both jobs and maybe even have an opportunity to travel among the islands. And yesterday, I celebrated my first Fourth of July here and it was really fun. The festivities on St. Croix take place in Fredriksted which is on the other side of the island. Usually, Fredriksted is somewhat quiet without a lot going on but when there is a cruise ship or a celebration, it lights up, literally. The people, food vendors and fire works reminded me of most suburban Independence day celebrations but ironically, the food was cheaper than it usually costs around here and it tasted really good.

I think one of the biggest challenges about moving anywhere as an adult is finding people to interact with and become friends with. When you're young, you're forced into situations that give you a chance to see who fits better with your personality but as an adult, you come together based on location and that is the biggest commonality. I am lucky to have found a lot of people here who have been so friendly and have showed me around and invited me into their circles. But at the same time, I really miss my family and friends. The Fourth of July is such a family holiday that when I saw people with their parents and kids, I did miss my family back and that is a challenge when you live here because you can't just get into your car and drive to see people.

Another challenge on this island is the Sahara dust that seems to be really prevalent here. Apparently, the dust from the Sahara Desert actually reaches all the way here and even with screens on the windows, there is a constant thin film of dust no matter how much you dust and clean. But these are little things along with the loss of electricity and water at certain times. I did wash my hands and brush my teeth with bottled water the other day and while in the states, this would probably be a day ruiner, here it was just another day and the view of the sea made it all worth while. I have found that after a while here, I start to get sea withdrawal when I haven't been in the ocean for more than a week and I need to find some salt water to walk through stat.

Overall, so far so good and I can't wait to see what adventure the next week will bring.



1 comment: