Sunday, August 23, 2015

The hurricane that wasn't...hopefully!

This week's review below: House of Printing VI

You know that something is happening when everyone is very aware of the weather forecast a week ahead of time. Being from Chicago, we only got about a two hour warning on our tornadoes and major storms so having a week's worth of warning is actually pretty great. Early in the week, there were news stories going around about a possible hurricane that would come very close to the Virgin Islands. The last major hurricane struck St. Croix in 1989 (Hurricane Hugo Category 5) and devastated the island so people take it pretty seriously around here.

However, nobody panicked and most people, probably because it has happened frequently before, were just waiting for it to get closer to see what needed to be done. As it did get closer, it has dissipated into a tropical storm and they are saying we will receive the weakened tropical depression end of it tomorrow, bringing some much needed rain to this area.

I have to admit I did go out and I did buy cans of corn and peas and I do have enough crackers to bring my acid reflux back in full force. I almost got those huge cans of beans too but I was going to wait on those until I had a more certain forecast. So it looks like I won't have to use the storm doors after all this time but now I know what to expect the next time around. There are people around here who are convinced that the weather forecasts are made up by people who want people to run out to the stores to buy things but I think it's just the way living here is going to be. There will be storms that form in the Atlantic and most will dissipate by the time they get here, but there is also a chance one may not so we always need to stay vigilant. Overall, it was a pretty good week, full of lobster with new friends I met because of this blog and beautiful sunsets.

Activity Review: 

House of Printing VI...

This week's review isn't so much an activity but something we take for granted stateside. I could always send my pictures to Walgreens to be printed the same day. When I needed to print a picture fast while here, I found it difficult to figure out how to do that until I found House of Printing. They are located at 48 Castle Coakley, very close to Kmart in Christiansted, and they accept digital picture files for printing much like Walgreens did via email. They also have a picture printing kiosk inside the store if you want to crop the photos or make any enhancements. In addition, they will take orders and print your picture on almost anything like posters and mugs and t-shirts which makes for a great present or keepsake.

When I needed my picture printed, the owner went out of her way and opened the doors for me after closing. I was able to print and deliver a present the next day. You can find House of Printing VI at www.houseofprintingvi.com. This is why I really like St. Croix, because people here will go out of their way to make sure that they help you do what you need to do if it is in their power. The same is true for the very nice Sprint employee who made my phone work again but that is another blog post :) 

1 comment:

  1. I look forward to your weekly blog and enjoy reading about your adventures :)

    ReplyDelete