Sunday, November 15, 2015

New Beginnings...

It's hard to believe but I've live in St. Croix for over five months. When I was getting ready to move here, I had a countdown calendar that was named "New Beginnings." I was so hopeful that my new beginning would work out but I was very much aware that realistically, I was taking a huge chance and the success rate was probably smaller than I would have liked to believe.

When I decided to move to St. Croix, I tried to plan as much as I could before I came here but there were things that I couldn't really plan. I really took a chance and I just hoped it would work out better than what I had back in Chicago. On my first visit to St. Croix, I met another woman who was also moving here and that was her first week here. Her planning wasn't as extensive but she was just as determined to have her new beginning. As I sit here writing this, she is packing to move back to her previous home. As sad as that is, it reminds me that just because many people come here for their new beginning doesn't mean that it has to be the ultimate end for everyone. For some, this may be a stepping stone for the better in the future or it may just be the wrong destination and their own yearning for a better life is now turning them towards the path of success.

I do hope that my new beginning that commenced back in June can be long-term. I truly love being here everyday and my life is so different than what it was a year ago and in a really good way. I can't predict what will happen a year from now just as I couldn't have predicted I'd be here right now just last year. What I do know is that just like I listened to the pull in my heart to come, I'll listen to it if it tells me to do something else as well. I used to think that my life was pretty set as far location, career, personal relationships, etc., but I was able to give that all up and start a different life here that makes me much happier. I can honestly say that my journey was definitely worth it no matter what happens five months from now because being here has really taught me to look at life short-term rather than waiting for something to happen in the long-term.

It's also a lot about timing. Sometimes we feel that we need a change and we do it and it's the wrong time for us. Sometimes we're meant to overcome the obstacles in our lives and stay the course. But other times, we're actually meant to change course and live the lives we were meant to have. There isn't a right or a wrong and it's hard to figure out the timing of it all, but there are times where it just works and we know it's the right to do. This feels like the exact path that I should be on right now and I can't imagine any other life for me right now. But it's not for everyone because it just may not be the right time for them and that's okay, because their correct path may be waiting for them to arrive and start on its course somewhere else right now.

Activity Review:

Buck Island 

Most people don't leave St. Croix without visiting Buck Island. It's an island off an island and you have to take a special tour or know someone with a boat to get there, but it's definitely worth it. It's a National Park and it's completely uninhabited, making it even more pristine and beautiful. And there's turtle nesting on the beach which is conveniently named "Turtle Beach." Turtle Beach is on the west side of the island and it has white sand and perfectly calm shallow waters.

It looks better than most of the beaches in the movies that you have seen and the pictures you take will not be to fully embody its beauty so all your friends and relatives will have to come visit as well! The other side of the island is home to an underwater snorkel trail complete with an underwater fish world that you get to visit for a short time. It's magical, that's all there is to say, the rest you'll have to see for yourself.

There are many companies that offer tours to Buck Island from the island of St. Croix as it is only a few miles away and only about a mile from the East End of the island. Big Beards Snorkel Tours (www.bigbeards.com) is the only one I have been on as a tour and I've done it twice. I've always had a good time and the second time you go, it's half price! Half day tours are $75 and full day tours are $105 which include a barbecue lunch. They also do private charters and there are child rates
. I've only done the half day tour but if you have a full day, go for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment