Sunday, January 10, 2016

New Beginnings and 2016

Happy New Year!!!

We all made it to 2016 and it's been so busy already! New Year's in the Virgin Islands means a Christmas themed carnival and parades that go on forever. It also means a new apartment and getting your electricity inadvertently shut off. It's only been ten days and it's been exhausting. I can't wait to relax for the rest of 2016!

New Year's Eve started off with apartment hunting at 8 am. This was probably not the most convenient scheduling but a lot of times, island time, while slow, is not necessarily convenient.  The day proceeded with finding an apartment and finalizing the terms. I was so tired by 7 pm that a nap was urgently needed to avoid passing out before the long-awaited New Year's mark. I've spent many New Year's at restaurants, at shows and also at people's houses over the years. And it has always been a tradition to turn on Time Square's ball drop when I was in Chicago because it always happened an hour before the actual New Year and it was a great way to guage the time. In St. Croix, we're in Atlantic Standard Time which means that we are one hour ahead of New York so our new year's eve was spent without any television accompaniment (although in customary local fashion, the local station did try to loop the same carnival clip over and over again in hopes nobody would catch on). Overall, New Year's Eve's night was very relaxing and spent with good friends. We were all ready for the new year and all the great experiences it would bring.

The main attraction of the New Year's celebration in St. Croix is the Carnivale Adult Parade. This parade was held on January 2 in Frederiksted and was very late to start. When it did start, the costumes were amazing and the bands made up of school children sounded really great. However, after about an hour or so, there was a two hour break!!! We almost left because we though the parade was over but then it started up again and went on for a while longer. The parade is something everyone who lives here or is visiting should see at least once but with it going on for almost the whole day, you need to have a lot of endurance to come see the parade in consecutive years.

And as I am now moving, I decided that I would inform my utilities to turn off the electricity on my move-out date. This is something that I always did back in Chicago when I moved and I'm sure most people do this. I should have known better and it did seem a little too easy as I emailed the power authority in St. Croix to notify them of my move and asked them to turn off my electricity on January 31. So of course, on January 8, my power was completely shut off. January 8 was a Friday and at 9:30 pm, I was almost in tears trying to get the one person who was still at the electric company at that time to turn my power back on. The islands are known for the kindness of the people who live here, so while the power should not have been shut off, the power authority did send someone out at 10:30 pm and my power was restored. I live on an island now and while I love to think that I can do without many of the conveniences that I was used to in the states, it's really dis-empowering to think how debilitating not having power can still be. Somehow I'm okay not having power when we have storms or potential hurricanes, but when everyone else has power, I still want it as well!

So that is my feel good story for the beginning of my island adventures of 2016. As the months pass by here very slowly, I'm reminded of the goodness of people in general. I'm also reminded of how great it is to have really good friends who visit you, who remember you and who are there for you. This year, I"m going to strive for creating a positive environment for those around me as I am beginning to understand that for me, the meaning of life doesn't revolve around just creating a positive energy for myself but for also making sure that others have the opportunity to have positivity in their lives as well. After all, my experience here has been so good and positive because of all the opportunities and experiences that others have created and that I took a chance at accepting not too long ago, and that has truly made all the difference.

Activity Review:

Point Udall Sunrise

One of the best days I have had here so far and one of best presents I have ever received was being surprised and taken to Point Udall, the Eastern-most point of the United States, for the sunrise on Christmas Day. Ever since I got here back in June, I wanted to go but getting before the literal crack of dawn is so hard to do! So on Christmas Day, my wonderful boyfriend woke me up and surprised me at 5 am and told me we were going to see the sunrise. I was as happy as anyone who gets their long awaited present on Christmas morning, except mine was in the form of a memory that I will get to keep forever.


Point Udall is magical when the sun rises. It is better than any picture I can post or any description I can write. Being at Point Udall with people you really care about makes it even better. I wouldn't recommend going here by yourself or anywhere at the crack of dawn in St. Croix, but going with friends or the special people in your life creates a really unforgettable experience. I know that many people come here to see the first sunrise of the year on New Year's day but every day here creates a new and unique sunrise that will never be repeated. And best of all, this activity is completely free except that it does take a good 20 minutes to get to Point Udall from Christiansted. For most of my stateside friends, that's a short trip, but here on the islands that's as far as most people are willing to go, but it's definitely worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment