Monday, June 22, 2015

Olympic Day and Beautifiul Sunsets and People

St. Croix is  a pretty small island by mileage but it has so much going on every single day. And because it's fairly small, it's possible to see and do almost everything that is worth doing. I knew that the US Virgin islands held an Olympic Day run before I left Chicago. I was so excited about the run because I love the Olympics and we never really had anything like this back home that I could participate in. I am also not a huge runner so anything above a mile is not realistic for me but I was fairly certain I could at least try to finish the mile and I did. And not only did I finish, but I ended up in the local paper as the frontrunner in the picture in my time group which was the slowest group. This is all possible only because on this island, those who want to do things, do them and it's easier to stand out in that way, and it's also easier to pursue the things you really like to do.

This weekend, I was also invited to go to Buck Island by two really wonderful people on the island who I met last time I was here for a visit. We went to the island and snorkeled with some of their friends and then I was invited to go to a BBQ over at the friends' house, who are extremely generous and welcoming, where I met even more really wonderful people. It was really a nice welcome to this island and everything it has to offer. The beautiful sunset off their front waterfront porch was an breathtaking site as well.

Over time, I realize that there are some thing that don't exist on this island such as merging on roadways or cold days. Rain days are also considered a blessing rather than an inconvenience. The pace of life is much slower and the Caribbean Sea provides a background that never gets old. Tomorrow I have a phone interview for an event coordinator and fundraising manager position. I hope that I have a chance at this job because it would mean that I can stay here long-term potentially and I would be on track to doing something I really like doing with an amazing organization. I was also offered some freelance work that I am also probably going to accept in order to supplement my income if I do get offered the job as our salaries here are much lower than in the states but the cost of living is about the same as in Chicago, although maybe slightly lower because rents are so low here.

Things have been working out and I hope it continues!


No comments:

Post a Comment