Sunday, September 13, 2015

Back in St. Croix!

I'm back! And it feels like I never really left but I'm so glad to be back. People say that one way to figure out if you actually belong here is to go back where you are from and see if you want to come back here. I really wanted to come back. I had a really nice time with my family and friends in Chicago and if there was a way to transport everyone to St. Croix, I would do it, but as far as an environment, I appreciate it even more now.

I missed the sun. It was warm in Chicago but there was barely any sun. There is a lot of sun here. I think sun makes people happier or maybe more balanced. Whatever it is, even when I forget to take my vitamins, I feel good here. I also realized more than ever before, the value here is on people and friendships and experiences. A lot of the value in Chicago stems from how many things you have. I saw people at Costco (so many people) and they all needed something. They had full carts of stuff that they needed to make themselves balanced. I understand that sometimes we all need something and we shop on St. Croix as well, but the value here isn't on those things that we buy.

Most weekends, when I went into a store in Chicago, there were tons of people buying stuff. Most weekends here, people are at the beach. I don't know if it's due to the weather or the availability of an enormous amount of items, but the culture here isn't to accumulate stuff. This may be the reason why we don't have a lot of stores here because people just wouldn't shop there very much. I like buying only what I need and not needing to buy things that don't really add anything of value to my life here. But thinking back, when I purchased stuff in Chicago, those things did add value to my life because I looked at my value system differently. Plus, when the temperature only allows you to spend time inside for half the year, you definitely do need things to add value to your life during that time.

Restaurant Review: 

Blue Water Terrace Restaurant...

I love Blue Water Terrace! Whether it's for dinner or breakfast, the food here is very good. I personally really like going here for brunch because the food is very much like your favorite pancake house and the prices are pretty low for St. Croix. The view is Buck island so it's hard to find something else that comes even close.

For dinner, they have lobster made three different ways for about $26 and they have an all you can eat lobster and prime rib Monday! The food always tastes great, the ambiance is amazing and the company is always great at Blue Water Terrace. You can visit them online at www.bluewaterterracevi.com.

1 comment:

  1. Great post on our perspectives of the value of things. Things we think we need versus want. You are shifting in your perspective and it is great!

    ReplyDelete