Sunday, September 20, 2015

The mosquito struggle is real

Most warm places have mosquitoes. The US Virgin Islands and St. Croix are no exception. When I was back in Chicago, I had a very intense allergic reaction to mosquitoes. My skin would swell up and if more than two bit me at one time, I wouldn't be feeling my best. Either the mosquitoes here are different than the ones back home or I have built up a tolerance after being bit so many times. Here, we have mosquitos and no-see-ums. The latter are small flies that bite and you can feel the bite as it's happening. The after effects of no-see-ums are very similar to mosquitoes.

My first month here I was bitten a lot every time I went outside. I stopped putting on bug spray early on as I realized I couldn't wear bug spray all the time and I'd forget to put it on pretty regularly. Now, after about three and a half months, I still get bitten, but I rarely feel the bite and the itch goes away after a half hour at most. I also don't swell up like I used to. I have a bump but that's about it. I've heard this happens to many people here but some others haven't been so lucky. Mosquitoes seem to love me, but at least for the near future, I don't have to worry about being distracted by their bites. But if you're coming to visit or are new here, wear strong bug spray!!!

It has been a few months since I arrived and the ocean is still breathtaking to me when I look at it. The water is clear when I swim in and it's extremely refreshing on a very hot day (as the last couple of weeks have been). I'm not sure if I will ever get tired of the scenery or water here but I do know that isn't the case for some people that come here to live. Some people simply prefer to live stateside and that's okay. When I was in my 20s, I hated vacationing on islands and I wouldn't have ever imagined moving to one. So in a way I do understand why this life isn't for some people who prefer to have more to do and more to see. This just isn't enough and that's a personal preference. Right now though, it's exactly perfect for me.

Activity Review:

Chenay Bay Paddle Boarding...

It seems like almost everyone has tried paddle boarding on St. Croix. I had my first paddle boarding experience this past weekend and it was a lot of fun. It's a bit challenging to stand on the board (and I have not mastered this yet) but one of my friends came out for the first time and ended up standing up in no time. The water at Chenay is beautiful and calm, and it's a great way to learn to paddle board.

Most of the younger kids that rented boards were up and out on their way in no time. It took the adults a little longer but most were on their way as well.  The rates are really reasonable as well at $25 to rent a paddle board and $45 for a lesson with a paddle board included. There are also monthly rates for avid paddle boarders.  

1 comment:

  1. Have no regrets about the decision that you made. You live in a beautiful place, with great people and you don't have to deal with the rat race of the U.S.

    ReplyDelete