Sunday, October 4, 2015

Community living in paradise

As I write this from the swimming pool of my apartment, I think I've reached the beach bum vision I had in mind when I came here. Even thought beach bumming these days only really occurs after 3 or 4 or 5 pm on weekdays and on weekends, it still comprises a majority of my time. And since I came to St. Croix on vacation first, any time I drive on the same roads that I first encountered back in March, it still feels like I'm on vacation. So my advice to all future beach bums... go on vacation first and then make it your home!

I've talked a lot about how St. Croix has a very strong sense of community and how most people here are very warm and welcoming and that's still very true. About two weeks ago, the Synagogue on the island opened up for high holidays. The Rabbi flew in for services and I decided to do something that I probably would have never done stateside; I went to services. I'm not very religious and part of this is due to the fact that it's very intimidating to go to services when you've never been. Something about the community here made it very easy. I was welcomed without hesitation and the amazing Rabbi and all the members of the Synagogue here made me feel like I've been here forever and like I was absolutely no different than anyone else.

I really enjoyed my experience as Judaism has more of a cultural meaning to me than religious, and this experience really put this into perspective as I celebrated the new year and the high holidays with other members. I feel a lot more connected now to my culture and to St. Croix because it has allowed me to have this opportunity that I truly could not have anywhere else. In addition to the regular services, we went hiking and turtle watching. I have to admit that since our hiking journey which was a little longer, hotter and steeper than I expected, I have taken a hiking hiatus, but I will definitely be going to services again when our other wonderful resident Rabbi (whom I met back in March) comes on island for the season in November.

Over the last few months, more than when I first got here, I have been trying to figure out if I made the right decision with my move. As I make new friends everyday and learn to enjoy the moment of each day for what it actually is, I think the answer is that this was the perfect experience for me to have at this point of my life. I can't imagine my life without meeting the people that I have met recently and experiencing the events that I've been fortunate enough to experience.

I often read other blogs of attorneys who have left the profession and there is generally a very similar theme. We felt trapped in our old lives because we couldn't figure out a way to remain in our professions and still have some quality of life that allows us to have lives outside of our careers. I can sense the disappointment in many people that I talk to when I tell them that I'm not an attorney here, and I can tell that they have hope that I change my mind soon. In reality, at least from my experience, I felt trapped in a box that was my career choice. Now, I'm free to do whatever I want in my life, and I am free to figure out how to have a higher quality of life without the confines of that box that I was so used to over the last 8 years. I think that at this point of my journey to a better quality of life, I'm succeeding. It's not for everyone, but right now it's exactly what I need.

And now back to my swim and to some Sunday night TV later on...because we do watch television, even in paradise :)

Restaurant Review:

Villa Morales...

One of my friends has been talking about Villa Morales ever since I met her on St. Croix. Finally, we had a chance to go together to Villa Morales last week. It is probably one of the best local cuisine restaurants here.  They have everything from conch to Johnny cakes to lobster and Fungi.  I had the salmon balls (my first on island) and they were great. It was not what I was expecting at all but all the food that we tasted was very good.

It is in Fredriksted and they are only open Thursday to Saturday, but it's definitely worth the drive and the schedule planning. Their menu and schedule can be found here: www.villamorales.fsted.com.

2 comments:

  1. Try not to regret the decision that you made.
    Life is for living, you live in a beautiful place,so take advantage of the opportunity and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your updates and restaurant reviews. I look forward to getting out of my box that has confined me alot longer than 8 years. :) You did what people only dream of doing but dont have the courage to do! We hope to be vacationing there in January. Then who knows... We just may through our boxes away and join you... :)

    ReplyDelete