Monday, June 1, 2015

Day 1 in .... Puerto Rico!


So I did land on an island today, just not the one that I was actually aiming for.  I am now in San Juan, Puerto Rico at the hotel airport waiting for a flight to St. Croix tomorrow morning. I missed my flight due to a really tight connection time so I was half expecting it, I just wasn't expecting the substitute flight to be the next morning.

It kind of feels like Amazing Race but much more relaxed, complete with luggage porters and meal vouchers.  If this had happened a year ago in my life, it would be extremely inconvenient because it would either cut short a vacation or delay my ability to work and I would be extremely stressed out at this point. But today I had the opportunity to just walk around the airport and discover what it feels like to relax. And I realized that really relaxing and not having a plan is an extremely amazing feeling. It also made me feel like I was in that movie where the guy can't leave the airport for a year, it's kind of funny to walk around all relaxed and vacation-like while everyone else is running to their flight. It also helps that at this airport, most of the food places are outside the terminals.

I think working is very important and people who find jobs they love are very lucky. I actually saw something today that said that a person who puts in a lot of hours doing something they don't particularly love creates stress, and doing something you love creates a passion. But relaxing and taking in the moment of the day is important as well, and I hope that when I do find my next employment calling in life, that it is something that is a passion.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I just found your blog and looking forward to reading further to catch up. My husband and I fell in love with Puerto Rico and want to start spending long term there since we are now retired. You have made some very good points in that life shouldn't be just about work. We need to slow down and actually look around and enjoy the beauty of life. All the best to you!

    ReplyDelete