Sunday, August 16, 2015

The journey versus the destination

This week's review below: Cafe Fresco in Christiansted

Yesterday, I had planned to walk down from Point Udall on the east end of the island to Isaac Bay with some friends. This is a popular hiking trail and beach on St. Croix and we were all set to leave at noon. After a leisurely lunch in town, we made our way to the east end where we stopped to chat with Wanda, the bee lady. She was very sweet and told us a lot about bees and the history of honey wine. We also found some tree twigs with which we brushed our teeth which was new to this city girl but it works!

Wanda made sure to give us each some honey wine before we left. This was not a planned visit but she was so welcoming and happy to meet with us. We continued on our journey and took in the gorgeous view of Buck island. When we actually arrived at Point Udall, there were some people filing the site for a music video there and we made an impromptu appearance in that video as well. By the time it was actually time to begin the hike, it got pretty late in the day but we had such a fulfilling time up to that point, enjoying new experiences and each other's company.

Back stateside, most weekend adventures were meticulously planned and there was so much focus on achieving the goal of the plan, that the actual means of getting there was sometimes lost. At other times, bad weather would cancel the plan altogether and there was another day with no journey to be had. Here in St. Croix, most of the things that I have done have been a journey and an experience. I spend almost everyday seeing or doing something new. I spent most of my time in Chicago acquiring things that I needed to live there. I didn't go many days without visiting at least one store and buying something that was not food related. Here, I mostly buy only food items. I mentioned before that there aren't a lot of stores here but there aren't a lot of people shopping at the stores that we do have because they are focusing on their experiences more than anything else.

I think about all the things that have changed since I moved here. I can definitely feel less pollution as those gross eye corner dust particles do not make their appearance here. I also breathe fresh air 24/7 as my windows are never closed. I have to be honest and say that I have become somewhat of a water snob. Back in Chicago, we had a lake that I never swam in and I only saw ocean water once every few years when I went on a tropical vacation. Here, I pick my swimming water carefully, making sure it's very clear and the sand very smooth as I step into the water. These may not be the most important things in life and living in a city stateside definitely has a lot of positive aspects. But right now, this is important to me.

Restaurant Review: 

Cafe Fresco...

Cafe Fresco is what you would picture when you think of having a leisurely meal on an island. It's located in the Pentheny building in downtown Christiansted on King Street (across from First Bank), and the owners, Yonka and Damon are always friendly and willing to chat and make sure that you have the best experience. I am a salad person so I have had almost every salad they offered including The Funky Chicken which is curried chicken with dried fruit, and it was very good. They also have great fish dishes like Mahi Mahi and the pumpkin pancakes are also very good, and the prices are very reasonable.

I always invite friends to eat here because I always have a good experience.  Open mostly for breakfast and lunch (and for special events and catering), the full menu can be found at www.cafefrescousvi.com and they always have delicious daily specials and freshly made juices.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing. I enjoy reading your blog. It is a great way for folks to experience island living.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stumbled upon your blog as if I was destined to read it. Thank you for sharing your journey & experiences. I am currently researching to do in my life exactly what you have done but in St. Thomas. My blog will be from Accountant to St.Thomas Beach Bum.. I look forward to reading more of your adventures.

    ReplyDelete