Sunday, August 30, 2015

Tropical storms continued... Tropical Storm Erika

It's been an active storm season in the Atlantic Ocean. Right after Danny dissipated, tropical storm Erika became an issue and caused very serious damage and death on the island of Dominica. St. Croix went into prevention mode and the government urged employers to call off work last Thursday. As we waited and put up our storm doors and obtained canned foods, I could sense a nervousness which was not evident during Danny. People were concerned about the damage that would be caused by both the wind and the rain if we would get 8-12 inches all at once as was being reported.  When the storm finally came onto the island around 7 pm, the wind that I could hear definitely sounded very serious and loud. The storm doors shook and, I really hoped that they stayed where they were. The air got very cold which was nice and I fell asleep about an hour after it started as the wind died down.

In the morning, St. Croix went under curfew to make sure that all roads were cleared before residents put themselves into unsafe situations. It turned out that we had some trees and breaches down and some power lines, but it didn't really rain a lot and we didn't have much permanent damage. Thankfully, this storm went South and only grazed us with its 60 mph winds. Unfortunately, it looks like storm season is far from over and there is another system forming we speak. The Pacific Ocean has three category 4 hurricanes as of right now and everyone is very hopeful that Hawaii will be spared. As of today, most people have restored power and most water, cable, WiFi and cell services have been restored. The whole experience on St. Croix was a lot more organized that I thought it would be initially and for that I am thankful. I am also thankful for water and cell service more than ever before.

Living on a small island puts what I have only seen on the weather channel previously into perspective. When an impending storm is coming and you're watching its path and sitting in your living room (even though it seems that the weather forecasters aren't really aware that people live in the US

Virgin Islands as the islands are seldom mentioned during storm forecasts even if right in the middle of the path) while living on an island makes you feel very small. There is no place to go to get away from the storm and you just have to hope for the best and that it doesn't hit too hard. At a time with Facebook and instant video, seeing the tragic videos from Dominica right before our lights went black was not calming but was helpful for preparation with what little time we had left before it came here. I also have to say that storm doors are amazing but putting them up and taking them off leaves  a lot to be desired.

I am thankful that all the people on St. Croix came out of this storm healthy and well, and I am hopeful that this is the worst storm of the season and for a while to come. I am also thankful that the island still looks just like it did before the storm and much greener than it was a few weeks ago.  I may need a few weeks before I am ready to put those storm doors up again though.

Restaurant Review:

40 Strand Eatery...

This place is delicious and my friends and I still can't stop talking about it (there is definitely another trip to 40 Strand in our not-to-distant future). They are located in downtown Christiansted in the shopping courtyard behind Purple Papaya and there is inside and outside seating. The inside is extremely quaint and reminds me of a Mediterranean restaurant with a Spanish flare. Whether you love fish, meat or veggies, you will find something here. I had the fly fish with cabbage and risotto and I ate every little last piece. My friend had the pork chop with grits and she's still taking about it. We also tried the desserts and they were very good and many come with a chocolate spoon which was a great addition.

I really loved everything about this meal experience. The staff was quick and friendly and it was quiet inside which enabled me to have a nice conversation while enjoying
the food. I will definitely be going back soon!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment